Top Social

Seoul Day 1

Saturday, January 29, 2011
Hello everyone! I've been pretty busy because it's Alaric's birthday this Sunday. Starting on Day 1 of my Korea trip!

Anyway the whole trip was really last minute. In the 2nd week of January, my agency called me and asked if I would want to go Korea - free. Free hotel and free airfare. All I had to do was to go there and attend a modelling festival and accept an award on behalf of Singapore.
The Korea Models Association (the one behind the whole event) basically needed 2 models from Asian countries at the festival - 2011 Asia Model Festival Awards.

Tutorials at this point (till now as I'm typing this in fact) hadn't even started. All I would be missing were... two lectures, both of which are webcast.

The actual event was on the 21st of January. Originally I was due to fly there on the 18th, but the details continuously kept getting shuffled around. I finally got my confirmed flight on the 19th of January; I was told I would be flying off for Seoul on the 20th at night.

Photobucket
My bed a war zone as I pack! (I'm lying, it looks like this every day before I clear it for sleeping). Since I never knew at any point whether my trip was 100% confirmed (only on the very day before), I didn't bother going out and spending much on winter wear.
I had some basic stuff, and besides I was only going to be there for 3D2N!

Photobucket
Trying on clothes!

Photobucket
When I landed it was like -8 degrees and there was still SNOW on the ground. I was totally like... "Crap. It's damn cold."

Photobucket
Haha I found it super cute that they provide these reading glasses for people to use in filling up forms!

Anyway at the airport I was met by an English interpreter holding up a sign with my full name. It was my first time getting picked up by someone with a sign just for me!

The English interpreter's name is Shin (actually that's his surname, but his normal Korean name is too complex for us foreigners). He basically became my main friend for the entire Korea trip, and brought me out both nights!

I was also met by the vice-president of the Korea Models Association (KMA), who used to be a model himself. We were all picked up by a chauffered car and driven to Novotel in Seoul center.

Photobucket
This is Dior, a singer from Malaysia. He sings Malay songs with some Korean! He took LOTS of photos in Korea (3 Facebook albums worth) and I took quite a few from him so just thought I'd introduce him here at the start!
Anyway his blog's URL is watermark-ed into all his photos so you can check it out if you like (:

My flight left Singapore at 1.15am. It was really empty so I had 4 seats all to myself. I laid down totally flat but I absolutely could not fall asleep despite being really tired ): I landed in Seoul at 8.40am without having slept a wink (Korea is one hour ahead of Singapore if you're curious).

Reached the hotel at maybe 11am? Dropped off my stuff then had lunch with Shin and the vice-president. Crashed out in my hotel room for a pathetic 2 hours before having to gather in the lobby to be brought to the event place.

Photobucket
The first night was supposed to be pretty casual. It consisted of a dinner while watching the crowning of a modelling contest called New Face (haha yeah it sounds really similar to Singapore's New Paper New Face).
New Face had contestants from Korea, China, Mongolia, Philippines, Japan etc... (obviously the bulk was formed by the Koreans) but no Singaporeans or Malaysians. No idea why.

Photobucket
Anyway that's Ian! He's supposed to be the male model representing Singapore (I mentioned they need 2 models from each country - one male and one female) but... he's actually Malaysian.

I don't really know how that happened (Malaysia had their own male and female models if you're wondering). Kinda odd cause he doesn't really know how to speak English?

On the second day we had to go onstage to accept our trophies and give an individual thank-you speech. I obviously delivered mine in English, while he said one line in English and then switched to Chinese. But doubt the Koreans would realise anyway. Majority can't speak English themselves haha.

Photobucket
The New Face contest! The contestants had to wear traditional costumes according to their country of origin.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Erm? Some boy group called Touch. Crazy beach-streaked blonde hair. They look really young!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
More segments of the New Face contest.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Male contestants.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Crowning of the winners.

Photobucket
The male winner was from Korea and the female from China.

Photobucket
That's Amber Chia from Malaysia! She's not one of the models representing Malaysia; she's kind of their manager! Amber Chia is a really famous model in Malaysia, and she has recently started her own modelling academy in Malaysia with her husband.

Photobucket
Really yummy fruity cocktail drink thingy. It's only 4% alcohol and comes in bottles that were placed on the table.
Oh and Alaric made me hang a four-leaf clover on my handphone to give me luck for the plane rides and the trip alone.

Photobucket
Starter.

Photobucket
Main.
The steak was pretty good. The cucumber kimchi on the left is a variation of your standard kimchi. I hate the normal kimchi (sorry Koreans)! I much prefer the crunchy cucumber kimchi.

Photobucket
Dessert.

Photobucket
BAHAHAHA GOT A SHOCK.
Up till this point I wasn't even sure of the exact nature of my purpose in Seoul, till I saw the booklet with all our faces labelled under - Model Star Awards

Photobucket

Photobucket
Bloody hell I can't believe they unearthed and picked THIS photo. I don't like how I look here...

Photobucket
Had to take photos with tons of products by the sponsors after the event ended. We all got a super heavy goodie bag filled with Korean skincare, vitamins, socks etc.

Photobucket
With some of the other models onstage with our goodie bags.

Shin (my English interpreter and new Korean friend!) waited for me to end. In the end I had to go back to the hotel first for a briefing... which was basically just them telling us to report at the hotel lobby at 11am the next day.

He took a cab to my hotel and waited downstairs, then brought me to hang out with some of the other interpreters (whom he had introduced me to earlier on)! Thank goodness they're all interpreters (either English or Chinese) so we can understand each other, because the average Korean's English is honestly awful. Even the hotel staff have really bad English.

Photobucket
That's Shin!
And this machine is so cool! They have little "neoprint machines" dotted along the roads in Seoul. It's basically a camera mounted above a screen and it takes a picture of you on the street. You can add borders, designs, write stuff etc - exactly like neoprints - then tap in your email address for them to mail it to you!
For free!

Photobucket
Walked to this road with lots of bars/restaurants. This is at 10+pm and it's still so lively!

Photobucket

Photobucket
The drinking holes there are a mix of bars/restaurants. You order soju, and drink it while eating spicy clams. The tables have holes for you to drop your clam shells, and yes you can smoke indoors!

I tried half a shot of soju (I do need to get up at 10am the next morning). Shin and the others described it as Korean Vodka, but it's quite a bit milder. The taste isn't as strong and it goes down the throat more easily too.

In Korea the alcohol doesn't come with any mixers though - no Coke, Sprite, Green Tea etc to drink with your Vodka/Rum/Whisky - just plain water and clams.

Photobucket
Clams! Seafood seems to be a pretty big thing in Korea (sadly not my favourite thing). This was pretty nice! It comes with little cooked rice cakes as well and squid and other miscellaneous stuff inside the foil.

Photobucket
The Koreans are really SUPER friendly! They were really enthusiastic in talking to me and insisting I don't pay. In Korea modelling is a pretty big thing - they even have modelling as a university major - so they kind of treat me like... I'm not an ordinary university student and bombard me with tons of queries about the modelling industry.

Photobucket
And... this was my room after just one night. Total mess. Stuff strewn all over. The bed is soooo comfortable.

Gonna crash! I have quite a bit of research to do for part 2 of my Korea trip. The awards were the next day so I need to find out which celebrity won which award and which group performed etc. Too bad I stopped watching Korean dramas in 2007 so it was a little wasted on me because I couldn't recognize any actors/actresses!

Watch out for Seoul Day 2 ~ goodnight!~
7 comments on "Seoul Day 1"
  1. so did you go say hi to your half sister? i m referring to jessica jung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoaa! the koreans all looks so pretty and hot! and so are you! hahah a, hows the scenery like in the morning? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:22 PM

    will did you forget everything you said? dude has no sense of shame LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  4. fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave Sophie. Let me rule you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading your blog! keep it up Sophie! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:32 PM

    hi sophie, do you think Create Talents & Models is a good agency? cos i just got their namecard ytd lol thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just watched about this contest yesterday on Arirang, and now I read your blog post about it.. Super cool :D

    ReplyDelete